Monday 14 July 2008

wildness

Maybe I should be writing of weighty matters.

*thinks hard for a bit*

Nope, can't think of anything weighty.

Here, then is a celebration of wildness. We went off to Wales to hunt the Giant Hogweed, yesterday.


We also looked at a ruined castle, buried in the woods. The sunken track running up to the keep was lined by an avenue of ancient and dying trees, some of which had fallen across the track impeding our progress. Younger trees were growing out of the masonry. It was a good ruin. Very ruinous. It's nice to know that there are still ruined castles buried in woods.

And then we went swimming in the Monnow, just here at Skenfrith. It was cold and deep.

...and we ran out of time and failed to hunt down the Giant Hogweed. That can wait for another time.

*shhhh* wildness is weighty, isn't it?

5 comments:

  1. Very Weighty. Did you know about the ruined castle or did you discover it?
    I love the first picture I can smell the woods...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I wish wildness was weightier.

    Fab pictures, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I heard on the news that Richard didn't win but they didn't tell us how everyone else was placed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found out about it while I was researching the Llangybi well story, Anji.
    Yes, a shame he didn't win, but being shortlisted was still good news, even if he doesn't think so. Like after a job interview earlier this year, when the manager rang me after to tell me that I hadn't got the job but that I'd only been pipped to the post by half a point. Which sort-of-helped and sort-of-didn't...

    Thanks, shsaggyred!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to register my vote for your second picture, Dru. The composition reminds me of certain Pre-Raphaelite paintings.

    ReplyDelete